Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Regionals - get into it

Our Regionals is this weekend, along with many other teams, and boy I will not be lying when I say I am PUMPED UP! I've always been pumped up to play in this weekend but I don't know what it is about this year - maybe it is because it is my last year playing, maybe it is because I absolutely love this team... not sure. But whatever it is, I get so jacked whenever I think about this weekend.

Getting yourself 'into' this weekend is super important, I feel. I have spent this past week thinking about the teams that are going to be there, who their top players are, what style of offense and defense they run, and when we are going to play them so I can be mentally ready when that team steps onto the line across from us. I have memorized the schedule so I know when and where we are going to be playing. These details are important in focusing for the weekend. Nothing can distract you going into this and knowing all of the details takes away from the distractions.

I've also been visualizing. If I can't fall asleep at night or I can't find anything else to do, I've been visualizing my play at Regionals. I visualize myself getting a hand block, throwing the goal to Pimp, catching the goal from Adrienne, hucking to Bemu, switching on defense with Paula, etc. I also visualize Northwestern's (our biggest competition at Regionals) players and what I'm going to do to stop them. This task I also find extremely important in getting yourself ready for the weekend. If you can see yourself doing these things, you have a lot better shot of actually doing them.

On a related note, I have been visualizing things I have done in games. I'm not visualizing a layout Callahan, a 'greatest', or throwing a full field huck. I wish I could do all of those, but I have not yet done them this season, let alone my college career. I don't find it beneficial to be spending my time visualizing those things when I can visualize things I CAN do. If I happen to get a layout Callahan, I will be extremely happy. But if I can shut down my girl and not let her score a goal while I am throwing our team's goals, I will be more happy.

This isn't the time to be trying ridiculous new things. Your team has gotten to where it has because it has been doing certain things. Keep doing those things. You can always improve on those fundamentals - no team is perfect. But trust in your team and your players and your system. You've been great so far and now its time to be the greatest in the region.

You have many other days to eat a bunch of sweets, drink alcohol, or do other 'harmful' things to your body. This week is not the time. This may be the last weekend your team plays together, and honestly, who wants that? Get yourself mentally and physically prepared.

Go get 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment